About Me

My photo
I am a new wife and a new addition to the adult world. I have finally started my career as a teacher and I am trying to live my life while waiting for the next step (house and family). I am trying to keep up with my love for writing. I do it because it allows me to relive an adventure already taken or to create an experience I may not have had. I am currently teaching, trying to write a book, working on this blog, and loving on my adorable and awesome husband.

Jul 27, 2012

Chipotle Shrimp Taco with Avocado Lime Coleslaw

Ok. So I was on a bit of a cooking kick and challenged myself to cook a weeks worth of meals from Pinterest. That's right, I made a home made dinner every night for 7 nights in a row. Not every recipe was post worthy but this one was amazing!! Now fair warning my version looks only vaguely like the version on the link but regardless it tasted great!


Now in case you don't remember I am not a cook. I attempt to follow recipes I find online and sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't. But the number one thing I look for in a recipe is ease, and this wasn't too bad at all.

The real winning part of this recipe is the avocado lime coleslaw. The first thing my husband said when he got home was something along the lines of "eww that looks gross" but I assured him he had to try it. After he scarfed down 3 tacos he ate the left over coleslaw out of the bowl. It's that good! And he really wants to put in on burgers next time we grill.

Ingredients:

1lb of medium shrimp, peeled
8 cjorn tortillas
1 tsp kosher salt for shrimp
1 tsp cracked pepper for shrimp
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 tsp of the adobo sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 Tbsp cider vinegar

For the Coleslaw: Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate

1 bag of coleslaw mix
1/3 cup of plain Greek yougurt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
juice of 2 limes
1 medium avocado, mashed
1/2 tsp paprika

Directions:

Season the shrimp in a ziploc bag with 1 tsp salt, pepper and olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Mix together the brown sugar, chipotle pepper, adobe sauce and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat a grill pan to medium-high and cook shrimp for 3-4 minutes until slightly curled. Now add in the sauce and toss, making sure to coat all the shrimp. Cook for another minute or so until pink and then serve.

Meanwhile, heat 1-2 TBSP of vegetable oil in a shallow skillet and grill the tortillas, until slightly charred and pliable, about 20 seconds per side. Serve with the shrimp and avocado lime coleslaw.

http://www.kitchenbelleicious.com/2011/10/03/chipotle-shrimp-taco-with-avocado-lime-coleslaw/

No comments:

Post a Comment