About Me

My photo
I am a new wife and a new addition to the adult world. I have finally started my career as a teacher and I am trying to live my life while waiting for the next step (house and family). I am trying to keep up with my love for writing. I do it because it allows me to relive an adventure already taken or to create an experience I may not have had. I am currently teaching, trying to write a book, working on this blog, and loving on my adorable and awesome husband.

Aug 9, 2014

Food in Europe

We have almost completed our 3 weeks of traveling in Europe and we have had some great meals and some not so great meals.
Eating in London:
- You will pretty much get what you expect... except for the "clotted cream" incident. This was served next to a lemon cake dessert and expecting it to be vanilla ice cream we had a big bite of warm, unsweetened clotted cream. Yeah.
- Desserts seem to be a little less sweet and spicy is quite a bit less spicy.
Some general things you should know about eating in Italy (where things are most different) are as follows: 
- Close your menus so they know You are ready to order.
-You do not need to tip, it is included.
-Stay away from restaurants near tourist attractions or with a great view (unless it's a high class restaurant). Just a few streets over will make a huge difference in price and quality of food.
-If you order fish in Italy it will all be these brown slabs of meat in a sauce (we had this happen 3 times). To be safe just stick to things with pictures.
- You're pasta will always be aldente (a little under cooked/chewy). And the noodles seem to all be more eggy then at home.
- DON'T eat the bread they put on the table unless you want to be charged for it.
- You have to ask for your check, they won't bring it to you. And you often have to go up to the front or bar to pay.
- Venice was particularly challenging to get food. Most restaurants actually do close for the siesta or whatever it is called here. Between 3 and 5 and then promptly close around 9. It's definitely not impossible to find a place during the "off" hours but you will get a lot of unfriendly "NO'S" and shooing...

*I'll add some restaurant suggestions when we get home and I get a chance to go through things.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    This is the second time we contacted you about your blog and this is just a follow up. If this message disturbs you, I apologize. I will make sure that this would be my last message that regards to our project.
    We MyTaste.com, one of the biggest recipe search engines in the world, would like to give you an opportunity to add your food blog to the Top Food Blog list, have your recipes indexed on our site and make your recipes available to many people.

    If you want to JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, add your blog's URL here>>>
    http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs

    This is one of many ways to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic. EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!
    For any questions: info@mytaste.com
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete