About Me

My photo
I am a new wife and a new addition to the adult world. I have finally started my career as a teacher and I am trying to live my life while waiting for the next step (house and family). I am trying to keep up with my love for writing. I do it because it allows me to relive an adventure already taken or to create an experience I may not have had. I am currently teaching, trying to write a book, working on this blog, and loving on my adorable and awesome husband.

Feb 12, 2011

Day Trip: Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach, CA)


The day we went to the Aquarium of the Pacific was a perfectly sunny day.  We were excited to go down to the beach/harbor and check out all of the amazing sea creatures that reside at the Long Beach Aquarium.
 When you arrive at the aquarium it is a $25 admission fee for adults.  Walking inside the first thing you see, and can't miss, is a giant glass wall, an aquarium.  After spending a few minutes looking at everything you can see in the massive aquarium in front of you, you move through the weaving halls of mystery.  Well okay, that's not what they are called, but that is what it feels like.  Walking through, there are beautiful, bright colored fish in the inside aquariums.  I could explain how amazing everything is, but you know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words...




Besides all of the indoor aquariums with plenty of fish, and even some other creatures, like frogs.  There are outside, open air aquariums too.  These aquariums range from large to small.  With sea lions and such, to star fish and sting rays you can "pet". 


My Love petting a sting ray

Along with seeing tons of fish I have never seen before, the aquarium's overall environment was fantastic.  It all feels very interactive and is very appealing to the eye.
The petting pool really allows you to dive right in, cheesy line but true.  Petting the sting ray feels awesome, but it is a little nerve wrecking when they splash around.  (You get some Steve Irwin flashes ya know).  But it was fun anyways.  I personally love the star fish.  In these shallow tanks they also have some bright very recognizable fish for the kids.
Dory (Finding Nemo)



Finally, after a great day of being amazed.  We headed upstairs to cafe scuba to get something to eat.  Expensive like any amusement type place, but tastes fine.  We were even able to sit outside on the deck to look out over the ocean while we ate.  The only downside to this was the seagulls who have become accustomed to receiving their breakfast, lunch, and dinner from this deck.  Therefore, they are no longer intimidated by people.


On the way out we watched the sharks and other fish swim around the giant tanks.  It is absolutely incredible to see the giant sting rays literally fly through the water.  And the huge sharks seemingly held up by nothing.

And not only is there the aquarium to spend hours in, the aquarium is located in the Long Beach Harbor, which is nice to walk around.  However, harbors in general (at least in Southern CA) can sometimes have a fishy smell.  But I guess that is not too surprising.
We walked around the harbor a bit before returning home for the day.  We sat on the rocks and talked for awhile with a view of the Queen Mary which will be a trip for another day.

Destination: Long Beach, CA

Points of Interest:
Aquarium of The Pacific http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment