About Me

My photo
I am a new wife and a new addition to the adult world. I have finally started my career as a teacher and I am trying to live my life while waiting for the next step (house and family). I am trying to keep up with my love for writing. I do it because it allows me to relive an adventure already taken or to create an experience I may not have had. I am currently teaching, trying to write a book, working on this blog, and loving on my adorable and awesome husband.

Mar 24, 2011

Day Trip: La Brea Tar Pits (Los Angeles, CA)

Another Los Angeles attraction...
My Love and I decided since it had been at least a decade since either of us had gone to the La Brea Tar Pits we would take a day trip.  My Love is in Los Angeles all of the time and drives right past the museum and you almost forget how amazing it is.
Photo From: http://www.iol.ie/~kcolfer/images/La_Brea_Tar_Pits.jpg
When you arrive at the Tar Pits the main attraction is right outside.  A feature of many movies, most memorably Volcano, is the bubbling tar pits themselves.  It is so cool to see nature overtaking a small part of the city.  The black tar looks so ominous as it bubbles and spurts, and is locked away behind the black rod iron fence like a dangerous prisoner.  Yet, somehow this is the one area we managed not to take a picture of...how that happened I am not quite sure.  So here is one I found online...
After you realize what Mother Earth is capable of and thoroughly freak yourself out....or realize the epic history of this land (whichever direction you so choose) you head inside.  Admission is only     $7 per adult.

Inside, you get to see all of the incredible things that scientists and archeologists have found.  There are full skeletons of sabertooth tigers, mammoths, wolves and other ancient animals.  It is incredible that these guys or gals had once walked right here!
A neat side story...at Moorpark Country Club during the building they found a full skeleton of a mammoth.  It is apparently one of the best finds in Southern CA.
Besides the awesome full skeletons, you can also watch the scientists work on cleaning bones and assembling skeletons right inside the museum...through a glass wall.  The rest of the museum has tons of different bones, fossils, and photographs that are explained, and show a history of Southern CA.  It is not a huge museum but there is a lot to see.  You could spend a couple of hours there.
We really enjoyed it!  But My Love has a huge interest for history and when I was 9 I wanted to be an archeologist.  So...take it for what it is.  But I highly suggest you at least see the tar pits outside!! It is just something I have never seen before, and is definitely not everywhere you go!

Destination: Los Angeles, CA

Point of Interest:
La Brea Tar Pits http://www.tarpits.org/

http://www.moorpark-mammoth.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment